Aerothermal testing services allow our customers to increase component durability and performance by verifying the flow and heat transfer characteristics of cooled airfoils and structures. In evaluating our customers’ hardware and assemblies, our aerothermal services include, but are not limited to, analytical data matching, flow visualization, and flow/pressure drop characterization.
Airflow Testing: (back to top)
Airflow testing verifies proper flow characteristics of components to set up masters, provide quality control, and validate models.
- 0.48 lb/s continuous flow, 400 SCFM.
- ER3000 controls P2 within ~0.002 psig.
- Can measure down to 0.003 pps.
- Sonic or Venturi nozzle.
- 30kw in-line heater for heat transfer testing.
- Digital electronic data retrieval system (LabVIEW).
- 1000 Hz scan rate transient capable.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) traceable calibrated flow systems, accuracy to 1%.
- Room temperature and elevated temperature to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- FAA-certified Master blades and vanes.
Water/Dye Injection: (back to top)
Water or dye injection provides visualization of a component’s internal flow system and identifies system characteristics that can have a direct impact on component durability and performance.
- 160 gpm water flow table.
- Dye injection and air injection visual tests.
- High-speed digital camera captures flow test images at 200 frames per second.
- Testing of scaled up stereolithographic (SLA) models to check and fine-tune heat transfer characteristics of a preliminary design.
- 650 gpm cavitation flow facility.
Transient Liquid Crystal (TLC) Thermography: (back to top)
TLC Thermography analyzes and tests internal flow systems to determine heat transfer levels for product development and to identify flow anomalies that result in reduced component durability.
- Uses heated airflow and aqueous liquid crystals.
- Custom LabVIEW frame-imaging software developed in-house to process changes in the liquid crystal transients and provide qualitative and quantitative system analysis.